Follow by Email

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Last weekend

Thanks to Sadie's many awesome Grandparents for watching her, we were able to get more work done! Where to start...

Oh the tile "path":
Josh got the ugly tiles off only to find plywood literally covered with thousands of screws. I am not exaggerating. They also glued it to the hardwood floors as well. DISASTER!

Josh trying to get screws out.

Close up.
So we had my dad come the next day to help us get it. It took him a whole afternoon just to get some of it off.
This is where we are with this project for now.
I started taking the ugly carpet off the stairs:

That ugly carpet on the riser is glued so I still have some work to do with that.
Josh ripped out the rest of the carpeting:
Hallway. I painted it!

Baby room.
Josh fixed the awful patch job the previous owners left on the bathroom ceiling. Just needs painting:
Carpet in family room in basement is gone:
And I am almost done painting the playroom (we also put a door on it):
And this is what Sadie does while I bolg:
We will be doing some major painting this weekend so that we can sand our floors and start the kitchen already!

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving

This year I ate tofurkey and no turkey! I've been trying to go vegetarian for awhile now and my Animal Ethics Philosophy class has really helped (along with my husband and that fact that our baby girl is also vegetarian). It helps when your husband can cook and make really yummy things! Guess what else he can do?! Pretty much anything. Here's what we did the past 2 weekends. I left the camera at the house for a week so this is going to be a loooong post. Sorry.

We pulled out the broken, smelly dishwasher and found this doozey. It leaked. Gross!: 

We are going to rip out all the linoleum and the 1/4" plywood throughout the kitchen and install our tile. The kitchen is going to be one of the last rooms we tackle since it seems to be the central zone where we keep all of our handyman supplies.

I painted the baby's room. Just have a little section to finish but here's our process:

This is the bedroom before. It took me 8 hours to peel and scrape that damn border off!

We bought Behr One (paint and primer in one) on the clearance rack at Home Depot. It was a dark gray (pictured below) so I added lots of white to a little gray and ended up with the exact color that I had in mind! (Thanks many years of color theory and art classes).
Original paint color. We just wanted to see it on the wall before hand. 
Mixed color. It's a light "elephant gray". We named our own color.

Done! We also got rid of the ugly yellow shades in the light fixture and got pretty clear glass ones but were moving it to the hallway in front of the half bath.

Just need to finish one section and rip out carpet.
 Next on our list was our bedroom. We found a color called warm gray flannel by Glidden but had it color matched at Lowes in Olympic One (primer & paint in one):
Master BR before with carpet removed. Ugly stencil border.
During w/ Warm Gray Flannel paint.
Done! My not-so-excellent picture taking skills added some non existent dots in the picture. Sorry!
Next on the list was the little closet to no where:

a wall! Just need to sand it and paint.

Here's a sneak peek:

I also painted the back hallway, Josh ripped out the carpet in the basement family room and I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting to mention. Next I'll be ripping off the carpet on the stairs and maybe ripping up the tile "path". Ok, the baby is going crazy so that's all.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Friday post

We finally have our home and our locks have been changed. What a huge relief of stress! We have already started some work (before we even closed!) Here is one major problem that HAD to be ripped out (sorry some of the pics are dated 2008 because my camera reset itself and put its original date):

The roof was leaking for a few months (nevermind it being the rainiest season ever!) That is mold and moss growing on that ugly carpet. So here's what we did:

Eventually we got to the old hardwood (it used to be a covered porch at one time) and the flooring is fine. Good News! The roof is all patched up so now all we have to do is fix the ceiling and this doozie:

That little closet door on the right leads to the kitchen pantry... It is the dumbest thing ever! We are taking out the door and putting drywall up. Probably a good idea since this is going to be Sadie's future playroom. Wait until you see the progress photos! Can't wait to get started!

Here is another little demolition we did:
Dining room

Formal Living room

 Still trying to convince the Boss to get rid of the hideous tile path! Does anyone want to lend me your jack hammer?! The hardwood is in pretty good shape just needs a few repairs. Looks so much better though!

And here's what might happen this weekend:
Removing the ugly arch. It's so low and it makes the space feel awkward. As long as there isn't any importance to it being there, we are going to get rid of it. PS. I can't wait to paint over that awful stenciling.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Closing time!

We are supposed to close tomorrow. We WERE supposed to close last Thursday. We will see what happens. I'm tired of thinking about it so I took some time out to design a vintage print for the baby's room.
We have all of our paint colors officially picked out! Hardware for kitchen cabinets, tile back splash, tile floors and counter top is all picked out. Ugly burgundy carpeting in LR and DR is gone! We were lucky enough to find pretty oak floors underneath that just need minimal attention (I'll post pics soon). I think cleaning and painting the three rooms that need carpeting are first on the to do list. I can't wait to start the process!